This page is for informational purposes only. When using Fin you agree to all terms and conditions set fourth in our rental agreement.
Is Kayaking for You?
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
- Manage personal care independently
- Manage personal mobility independently
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
- Get in/out or on/off of a paddlecraft independently
- Independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft
- Reenter or remount the paddlecraft following deep water capsize independently
- Maintain a safe body position while attempting normal Recreational watercraft skills and activities and have the ability to recognize when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
Kayaking Safety in 1 Minute
Recovering from a capsize.
Review the essentials
Wear the provided life jacket.
A life jacket is the difference between wet clothes or death by drowning. Need help to properly fit a lifejacket? REVIEW: How to fit a life jacket.
Carry your cellphone with you in a waterproof case.
Always carry your cellphone in a water protected case. If you need help on the water your cellphone will be necessary. Your cellphone also lets us know your location during your rental. FAQ: In Case of Emergency on the Water
Have a clear mind.
Celebrate after the paddle when you are off the water.
Avoid paddling alone.
Paddling with others is not only more fun, but it is also safer. In an emergency a friend can help or call for additional help. FAQ: In Case of Emergency on the Water
Dress to swim and for weather conditions.
Dress prepared to swim and for the conditions. Both cold and hot conditions can be hazardous to your health and safety. FAQ: How to Dress Properly for Paddling
Stay close to shore.
If you do not have experience recovering from a capsize, it is important to remain 100 yards or less from the shore so that you can swim to safety. Recovering from a capsize. How to re-enter a kayak.
Be aware of storms, wind, and waves.
Be aware of weather before you depart and while you are on the water. Return to shore immediately in the event of inclement weather. FAQ: What to do in Bad Weather When You Are on the Water
Use extreme care at the launch.
Launch surfaces are variable, they may be slippy and/or steep and are subject to changing conditions.
Renting & Using a Fin Kayak
Important Fin Policies
- Fin paddlesports are for Adults only.
Paddlesports are available for those over 18 years old.
- Padding Locations.
While paddling stay within our designated geofence.
- No Passengers.
You may not carry, tow, or otherwise transport a second person (including a child or pet) using a Fin watercraft. FAQ: In Case of Emergency on the Water.
You are expected to yield to all other boats.
Boats, especially large ones, are not as maneuverable. It may be impossible for them to avoid you making it imperative that you get out of their way. Do not assume they can see you. Boat traffic awareness and safe practice
Rental Video & Instructions
Unlocking the Kayak
1. Download App, Find Location
Download the Fin app on your Smartphone. Read the Overview Slides. Find your Fin location on the Map that appears.
2. Look for & Report Damage
Inspect the specific equipment that you intend to use for any damage. Before rental please use the app to report if there is any damage found.
3. Scan QR Code & Accept Rental
Scan QR code on Equipment using your Smartphone. Confirm Rental and Pay to receive unlock code.
4. Unlock & Remove Cable
Use code on combination lock, click down on the lock for it to pop open. Then remove steel cable from Equipment handle and Life Jacket.
5. Remove Equipment, Secure Cable
Take Equipment from the rack then re-secure the steel cable to the rack with the combination lock. You MUST scramble the lock combination again before leaving.
6. Prepare Safety, Have Fun!
Put on, adjust properly, and wear your life jacket at all times. Your phone must be tethered to you in a secure dry bag at all times. Have a great trip!
Returning the Kayak
1. Place Equipment Back
Place Equipment in the same slot it was taken from. Make sure the paddle is reattached in its holder.
2. Secure All Items to Cable
Unlock and then reinsert cable through Equipment handle and both life jacket arm holes.
3. Re-lock the Cable
Re-secure the steel cable to the rack with the combination lock. You MUST scramble the lock combination again before leaving.
4. End Ride, Take Photo Proof
End your ride in the App. Then take and upload a picture of the returned equipment, also in the App.
5. Leave a Great Review
If you enjoyed your experience with Fin please leave a 5 Star Review in the App. Have a wonderful day!